Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Wondering

I know a number of people who are due and having babies this month and in the near future. I rejoice with these friends, yet, at the same time, this happy news hits me especially hard. Is it because Hannah's due date is so close? I keep thinking that, had things turned out differently, Hannah could have been born by this Easter.

Will I always cry when I learn of another's pregnancy? Will the tears always fall when a friend or relative is blessed with a new child? Will I always feel this painful searing when I see a friend's child who was born when my girls were due and think of how old Grace or Hannah would have been and what they might have been doing?

Will I always feel sick to my stomach when I hear of aborted babies the same gestational age as my daughters, able to picture the size and physical maturity of these little souls? I've always been horrified by abortion and known it was wrong, but now I see the faces of my baby girls when I hear of it.

Will my heart always be ripped apart when I hear news stories of abandoned, unwanted babies?

How long will it be until I can drive past the hospital where Grace and Hannah were born and not have a physical reaction to being near it? Unbidden tears, fast beating heart, difficulty breathing ...

How long, oh, Lord? Please grant me peace.

4 comments:

MapleCottage said...

Oh Melanie.. I know I cannot say anything that would help but know that I am crying along with you. It is hard..

gretchen from lifenut said...

I am so, so sorry.

Lord? Lifting up Melanie to you.

~Dinah said...

I am sorry that I haven't checked here in a while.

Melanie, I feel many of those same thoughts when thinking of our infertility. So many take for granted the ease of bringing a baby into this world. Or even the ease of taking a life out of this world. It is not going to happen for us, ever again, to coceive a child. I am okay with that now, but it took a long time to get here. I think of all the abused & neglected children who did nothing to deserve the treatment they received nor did they do anything to deserve the way their brains now react to the world. It is such a sad sad result of sin.

I love that picture you posted in a previous post. I love it in a very sad way, if that makes sense.

Julie Keefe said...

Here by way of pipsylou. Praying for you, Melanie...you are precious, talented and an encouragement to me.