Friday, November 28, 2008

Hannah Meredith

Can you fathom the mysteries of God? Can you probe the limits of the almighty? Job 11:7

On Tuesday I had a routine prenatal appt with my midwife Liz, 18 wks into my pregnancy. Liz couldn't find the baby's heartbeat. She tried to find it with the in-room u/s but couldn't, so she sent me over to the hospital for the u/s tech to do one. (It was the same tech who confirmed Grace's death.) The u/s's confirmed that once again, our baby had died.

Earlier that day my sister R stopped by our house to visit us on her way home from college to my parents' house. She was planning to stay for supper. After my appt she offered to stay and watch the kids as long as we needed.

Since we were heading to the hospital only a couple hours after finding out the baby had died, I didn't have time to sew a blanket as I'd done for Grace. I still wanted to wrap the baby in something from us rather than just the hospital's blanket, so I found a piece of green knit fabric (We still didn't know if the baby was a boy or girl.) which I knew wouldn't unravel and just cut a section of the fabric to take along.

Josh and I returned to the hospital that night around 7:00. I was given doses of cytotec throughout the night to induce labor. Thankfully I was able to sleep some that night, as was Josh.

Around 6:00 the next morning I was given my 4th dose of cytotec. After that the cramping and contractions picked up. I was getting pretty uncomfortable by 7:00, so the anesthesiologist came and gave me a walking epidural (intrathecal). That really helped. I could have gotten up and walked around, but I didn't want to since I was having a lot of bloody show.

Somewhere around this time, I felt something shift. When the nurse checked me, some of the bag of waters had come past my cervix, but I was still only about a 2. The baby was still up in my uterus.

Another 2-3 hours passed. The walking epidural was starting to wear off, so I asked for the anesthesiologist to come up again. This time he gave me a regular epidural.

Since Josh and I hadn't eaten a meal yet, we ordered some late breakfast around 10:30. When it got there, I tried to sit up in bed to eat, but I couldn't sit up on my own without pulling myself up with my arms grabbing onto something. I wasn't expecting it. I've had epidurals before, but maybe they just weren't as strong because I'd never had that feeling before. It really scared me, and then I felt like I was having trouble breathing. That scared me even more, and it almost felt like I was going to have a panic attack.

The anesthesiologist came back up and poked me with a tiny needle to see where I had feeling and assured me that the epidural was working the way it was supposed to and wasn't too high of a dose. That made me feel alot better, and I was able to relax. In fact, I could still move my left leg a bit, but my right leg was like lead. I couldn't do anything with it which actually brought a bit of levity to the situation as we laughed when the nurses wanted me to move or something, and I couldn't move that leg. I had to use my arm and move the leg, but then the leg fell right back down, so Josh and the nurses had to help me.

Liz wasn't able to be there on Wednesday, so the other mw, Jess, was. (Jess was there as the OB nurse with Liz when Grace was born.)

Around noon when Jess checked me, she decided to break my water since the bag was still there and bulging but it was hard to tell how far I was dilated, and I'd been that way for a while.

Not long after that, after only one push, Hannah Meredith was born at 12:07 pm on Wednesday, 11/26/08, exactly 5 months before her due date. There were no visible signs at her birth to indicate why she had died.

Once again, the placenta didn't want to come out. It was attached at the top of the fundus, and Jess and the nurse worked for a while to try and get it out. Finally Jess decided to get the dr on call to come and help. It happened to be Dr. D, the same dr who was on call last time and asked to do the same thing. This time, however, he seemed to do less manual manipulation and used the instruments a bit more, which, although uncomfortable, didn't seem as uncomfortable as before. Thankfully Dr. D was able to remove all the placenta and I didn't need a D&C.

I was given pitocin afterwards to help control the bleeding as well as 3 rounds of antibiotics as a precaution because of all the "work" Jess and Dr. D had to do to remove the placenta.

Hannah weighed 46 grams and was 5 1/4" long. She was smaller than Grace which makes me wonder exactly when she died. I'd thought for sure that I was feeling movement atleast up til Sunday. Was it all just in my mind? It really makes me question myself. I should know what baby movement feels like. It almost makes me feel sick that I thought I was feeling Hannah move and she might have already been dead. I can't dwell on it though and beat myself up over it.

Hannah had beautiful long fingers and a sweet little mouth that almost seemed to be smiling.

As much as it hurts to go through this a second time, we know that God is with us and will not forsake us. Although we cannot fathom his reasons in this, we trust in him, rest in the strength of his love, and cling to his promise that he works all for our good.

13 comments:

Nine-Arrows said...

Melanie, your faith is an an amazing & awesome testimony at this time... I can't fathom God's reasons in this, either, but I thank Him for the faith He's given you and the example that you are to others in the face of suffering.

I pray that He will continue to completely sustain you by His righteous right hand.

MapleCottage said...

Melanie, so many tears have been shed and prayers going up for you and your family.. I can only imagine the pain of this a second time.. I am thankful you have the Lord to turn to..as difficult as that is sometimes. I wish I could reach out and hug you in person.
Sheri8

Cakes said...

much love...

Anonymous said...

so sorry that you have to go through this. Wish I could do something helpful. HUGS

Motherhen said...

Praying that you are wrapped in God's love and comfort right now. Melanie, the faith and strength that you show during such painful and trying times will surely be an inspiration to others. (((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

Hugs, Melanie.

Kristin said...

Melanie, your faith is such a testimony. Little Hannah and Grace will always be remembered. I pray for continued healing.

weinloveforever said...

(((hugs)))

Jenni said...

Oh sweet tiny baby. I am so sorry. Prayers for all of you as you grieve little Hannah.

Jonna said...

Our love to the family, from ours. If you need anything all you need to do is ask.

Anonymous said...

Oh Mel. I'm so very sorry. So very sorry your family is going through this again.
Your two little girls, now have each other up in heaven. Waiting for you, but not alone.

Denise said...

Melanie, your family is in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I happened upon your blog -- not sure how really -- but my eyes are filled with tears to find another mommy who has suffered 2 second-trimester losses like myself. My heart just aches along side you.

I know that nothing I say can take away your pain, but I just felt compelled to leave a comment and share that you are not alone and may you continue to feel the Lord's strength through all the waves of memories and dates that fill our hearts with grief and love.

~Mrs.Cuddles