Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Abandoning Our Agendas

Shortly after delivering Hannah, a friend loaned me the book The One Year Book of Hope by Nancy Guthrie. I'd never heard of the book before, but my friend had gotten it when dealing with some difficult things herself, and it had been recommended to her by someone she knew who had suffered 2 late pg losses.

The book is a 52 wk devotional that explores various topics in the Bible with which those suffering pain and disappointment wrestle. It is not specifically written for people who have lost someone they love, but it's certainly fitting for them. The book offers hope to those experiencing the difficult things of this earthly life without being condescending or minimizing the reality of the hurt.

I'm currently on wk 7 of the devotions. So many of the daily writings have hit home for me. It felt like the one for today was written especially for me. Not only did I have an "ah-ha moment", but it was like I was being hit over the head with a 2x4 to make certain I didn't miss it's relevancy to me.

Today's devotion was based on Matthew 10:39. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

Guthrie writes on p. 52:

Jesus calls us to abandon our own agendas, what we have deemed will please and fulfill us, so that we can embrace the kind and quality of life that only he gives. This is not about adding Jesus to the life we are living. This is about making Jesus our life. This is about putting our plans for our lives to death so that the abundant life he offers has room to take root and grow. And death is always painful ... The problem is, we don't really believe that God's plan for our lives could be better than the one we've crafted. We don't believe we could be as fulfilled by the life he offers as we would be by the one we've planned. It takes a step of faith to believe God will supply satisfying life now and when we die.

Wow! Does that ever go straight to my heart and pierce it!

God, I admit to wanting things my way and getting fiercely upset when you don't let them go that way. In my heart I believe that you want what's best for me and are creating it, but sometimes I feel torn apart when things don't seem to progress in the way my puny mind deems best. Forgive me for my mortal short-sightedness and faltering faith. Help me focus on you and the cross, ever thankful for the gift of your son and always trusting in your eternal focus. Amen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so hard-hitting, Melanie. I will be musing on it for a long time, and hopefully getting it firmly in my heart as well! Thank you for sharing with such honesty.

Don Mills Diva said...

Lovely.

I just stumbled across your blog and I didn;t want to leave without saying...that's lovely.

Emily said...

Hey there. I know I haven't commented here before, but I just had to say that I love this book (and also Holding Onto Hope by the same author) and am so thankful you were given such an awesome gift, too. I am praying for you, as you continue to try to wrap your arms around the incredible losses of your sweet daughters and I thank you for opening your heart the way you have. The Lord is using you - and your girls! - in incredible ways for His Kingdom.

Kate said...

Wow, this sure spoke to my heart, as well!

I'm the same as you, Melanie. I believe in my head, but my heart isn't as convinced. Definitely a work in progress there!

(((hugs)))