Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Endocrinology Test Results

Yesterday I had my follow up appt with the endocrinologist, Dr. L. All of the bloodwork she did came back normal. No elevated thyroid antibodies. No high androgen or testosterone levels. Good lipid panel, HDL, LDL, glucose, and progesterone levels. No hypothyroidism. Dr. L did, however, say that, while my androgen and testosterone levels were normal, I did meet the criteria for PCOS based on other "soft markers" that I have.

We discussed treatment for my mild PCOS with metformin (glucophage) as many women with PCOS are insulin resistant or insulin sensitive and you can't really test for it without doing clinical trials because your glucose levels can still test normal for a while. Dr. L also mentioned how the ovaries are very sensitive to insulin levels. I asked her if my not being on metformin during my pgs could account for the losses, and she said usually pg losses due to PCOS occur much earlier in the pg.

We talked about 3 different scenarios regarding taking metformin:

1. If she was me and wanted to get pg again, she'd take the metformin to give the baby every chance of doing well.

2. I could take the metformin even if I wasn't planning to get pg again. It may help with some of those "soft markers" I deal with.

3. I could opt not to take the metformin if not planning to get pg again. Since the PCOS issues I deal with aren't severe, this would be okay if they don't bother me much. She suggested that if I do this, I should get my glucose levels tested once a year.

Dr. L said that taking or not taking the metformin was up to me since my PCOS and symptoms are fairly mild and that she would support me whatever I choose to do.

At one point in our discussion, I started crying. I couldn't help it. The news she was telling me wasn't bad. However, it seemed to say that we still didn't have any real answers as to why our little girls (especially Hannah) died. I just want answers. I want to know why.

On the drive to my appt I was praying, but I didn't know exactly what to pray for. It's not that I want something to be wrong with me, but if there was something like these things Dr. L tested for, it would be a probable answer. I was almost positive I'd be diagnosed with hypothyroidism since so many of the symptoms fit me, but my blood work levels discounted that. I want to have the "assurance" that if I would get pg again I could take medication or do something else that would put the odds of giving birth to a healthy, living baby overwhelmingly in my favor. Instead, I still feel that it's all an unknown and I don't have anymore "assurance" than before since it seems we still don't know what went wrong in the first place.

I'm still waiting to hear from my mw on the results of all that blood work she did testing for clotting disorders. I'm a bit surprised I haven't heard back from her yet as she's usually really good about getting back to me. I called her on Monday and left a message. I know she's out of the office today, but if I don't hear back from her by tomorrow morning, I'm going to call her again.

I have a feeling the results of the blood work she ordered will come back normal, too.

6 comments:

Natalia said...

Dear Mel

I so understand the need for answers. I appreciate your sharing in such detail and join in prayer for some more specific answers; maybe some insight into more/different testing ideas. It sounds like you have a good doctor.

Hugs
Natalia

Anonymous said...

Mel, I wish you had more concrete answers. I went through all the blood testing too, and was pronounced normal as well. I was surprised by how upset I was to be told I was fine. To most people, that is good news, right?

I just wanted answers, a reason, and something we could "fix"...

I know you will make your decision on possible treatment with prayer and wisdom. Your doctor sounds thorough and supportive, too.

~Dinah said...

Melanie, I know it's frustrating to have no answers. God doesn't promise us answers, tho. I was born with a heart defect and there is no explanation as to why. Nothing my mother did or anything genetic points to my defect. It just is.

Maddie was conceived first try, so to speak. When we started trying again it took years of no answers until we finaly came up with MFI. It's a miracle that Maddie is here at all because of the MFI results.

Anyways, I guess I'm just saying I know what it feels like to want an answer. I know what it feels like to think you're being punished. But in the end none of that matters (and it took me years of grief to realize this) because God never promised us answers. But he has promised us so much more!

But, I hope you do find answers! And I pray those answers give you comfort.

Cakes said...

Oh Melanie~
Lots of hugs and many more prayers.

Unknown said...

wanting answers is human, we want to "control" our circumstances. Rest in Him, and trust that He is in control, even when it seems that things are spiralling out of control. After many miscarriages this is what I cling to. I believe He took my babies because He knew best and like Job, I need to learn to trust that and say "You don't need to answer to me, Lord, I trust You."

Such a hard lesson, but so freeing and healing. He loves you.

Jenni said...

Oh Mel, I'm so sorry there weren't more definitive answers. I know I would want them, too. Much love and ((((HUGS)))) and prayers for you tonight.