Thursday, December 11, 2008

Answers But No Answers

I had my 2 wk postpartum appt with Liz today. She had the results from Hannah's surgical exam. Hannah had no physical abnormalities and was the size of a 14 wk unborn baby. Although that doesn't totally rule out chromosomal problems (We didn't have any genetic testing done.), it does make me feel better that she doesn't seem to have had the same issues Grace did. However, that still means that we don't have any answers as to why she died.

Next time I see Liz, at my 6 wk postpartum visit, I'm scheduled to have the blood work done to look for medical issues I might have, including PCOS, which she suspects I also have (even though that wouldn't have contributed to the girls' deaths*). She also gave me the name of and referral to an endocrinologist who focuses on thyroid and menstrual issues and PCOS. I plan to make an appt soon.

* I have since learned that PCOS can lead to miscarriage. -- Note added 12/17/08

6 comments:

MapleCottage said...

Melanie, I know thats hard in many ways.. I cant imagine going through it again :( I continue to think of you often.

weinloveforever said...

(((more hugs))) Just wanted to stop by here and let you know that you are in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. I understand the desire to have answers, but sometimes the answer is there is no answer. It's the worst to not feel any better off after you've been waiting for some clarity and peace.

Thinking of you Mel.

Julie said...

Melanie, I am so sorry you could not get any concrete answers. I know it must be frustrating. I continue to pray for you and your family during this very hard time of your life.

God Bless,
Julie

Kristin said...

I'm sorry you didn't get any concrete answers. I can see where knowing and not-knowing can be equally hard. Still, I hope there is something that can be done to prevent this from ever happening again. ((HUGS))

Unknown said...

Just want you to know I am praying for you! Oh, my heart breaks!