Thursday, December 25, 2008

Two of Us in Heaven

Josh used a laser engraver and made this beautiful etching for me for Christmas.


I had to take the picture looking down at it to avoid getting a reflection in the glass. The glass is a 9x16" rectangle.

Josh used E, F, and himself as models by using a digital camera to take pics. Then he converted the pics to the "sketch" style and had the engraver etch the glass.

The writing on the top of the wood holding up the glass has the title of the piece, Two of Us in Heaven. Underneath the title it says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:1

On the bottom of the wood, Josh engraved the following:

This image was created in loving memory of my two stillborn daughters, Grace Eleanor [last name] (10/5/07) and Hannah Meredith [last name] (11/26/08), for my wife, Melanie. The inspiration for this image came from my daughter E, who, shortly after Hannah's birth, told us that she thought Grace would be welcoming Hannah into Heaven, where the two of them would be waiting for us. The image is meant to depict little Hannah, timidly approaching a welcoming Jesus, while her older sister, Grace, offers her a hand, encouraging Hannah to come meet Jesus, her Savior that she has already had the chance to meet. The title of the image, "Two of Us in Heaven", comes from a short song that E made up after Hannah's birth. It is my prayer that this image offers hope, encouragement and joy (though it may be mixed with earthly sorrow) to everyone who sees it.

- Joshua [middle initial, last name] 12/24/08

The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised. - Job 1:21

Can you fathom the mysteries of God? Can you probe the limits of the almighty? - Job 11:7

I cried and cried when I opened it. It's absolutely beautiful! I love it! What a wonderful, loving husband God has blessed me with!

15 comments:

The Zandi Zoo said...

Wow. That is just beautiful! What a special gift.

MapleCottage said...

OH Mel, That is so beautiful.. what a sweet gift!

Anonymous said...

Oh Mel, what a beautiful gift he gave you with such special meaning behind it.

(((HUGS))))

Merry Christmas!!

Kate said...

He couldn't have done anything more beautiful or special for you, Melanie. What an incredible gift.

I love the depiction of Grace reaching out for Hannah's hand. It was obvious what the etchings symbolized even without your explanation.

Stunning... I teared up when I saw it, too.

Jonna said...

That is so beautiful Melanie, Josh did a wonderful job! God Bless you both, and your wonderful family.

Anonymous said...

Oh Melanie, what a beautiful thoughtful loving gift. I haven't been on LOK for awhile so I didn't know about Hannah.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Sheila (Mrs V)

Natalia said...

Wow, Mel, that's amazing. I am in tears here myself. What a beautiful gift.

Kristin said...

Oh, that is just precious. Makes me tear up. Merry Christmas and God bless you and your family in the new year.

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

Beautiful.

Cakes said...

Tell your husband thank you for me...

weinloveforever said...

that is gorgeous Melanie... what a beautiful and thoughtful gift!

(((big hugs)))

Anonymous said...

That is so beautiful. So thoughtful. You have an amazing husband.

Anonymous said...

Oh Melanie, that is SO amazing and beautiful. What a treasure you have, both in the gift and the giver....

Hindsfeet said...

Melanie, we spent the last month in Alabama with Peter's work... so I just got home and found your Christmas Letter late last night. I am so sorry to hear about Hannah. So often I look at my Bronwyn and think of your Grace. I am so heartbroken for you. Did you know my Hannah is named Hannah Grace? What a beautiful etching Josh has made. Words just fall short. You are in my heart & thoughts. ((hugs))

Unknown said...

What an absolute treasure!!!!! And what a special man he is!