Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Finding Peace

Two nights ago I couldn't sleep and my mind just kept going, not wanting to shut down, wrestling with my thoughts and feelings. In the midst of all the things swirling through my head, there emerged a sense of peace, that everything would be okay, that I would be okay. I'd known this in my head all along, but now I felt it in my heart. I know that feelings can be fickle, and my heart still hurts, but I thank God for giving me this sense of peace.

Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He brought them out of the darkness and the deepest of gloom and broke away their chains. Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love. Psalm 107:13-15

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Melanie,
I also feel this way so often - the juggling of emotions - the restless sleep - and I wish I didn't have to.

I know one of the things I struggled with when I lost the baby was often feeling like I really didn’t know what I needed to pray about, or I would forget to pray, or I didn’t know what I needed to say or do to feel better. But, I happened to attend a bible study shortly after my loss and the passage that day was essentially what my mind was trying to tell me and it proved to me that God was the one telling “my mind” this:

"In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Sprit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose".
(Romans 8:26-28)

He definitely has a way of proving his point doesn’t He?

I have kept that passage near my desk so I can remember its importance too. I hope it helps you too!

I will be thinking and praying for you and your family.

Love,
Amy (Schoeneck) Rother